[GRASS5] Re: Complete module list for GRASS-5?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Jun 15 11:48:00 EDT 2001

Rich Shepard wrote:

> > recently you (Eric) posted a list of descriptions generated from XML.
> > Do you mind to send the script to me (I don't want to re-invent the wheel)
> > or add it to CVS?
>
>   Eric did indeed generate such a list and sent it to me. As I reorganized
> it yesterday I noticed that it was not complete. For example, as I compiled
> the section on remotely sensed data, there was nothing appropriate for
> aerial photographs. I added i.ortho.photo but not the internally-called
> modules.

The XML descriptions are generated by the G_parser() function if the
--interface-description flag is given. Interactive programs don't
generally use G_parser(), so they don't support this flag (they don't
support the "help" option either).

A list of programs which don't support this feature can be found in
messages between myself and Eric at the tail of the thread entitled
"Darwin Pre1 gtty stty errors".

I'm slowly working on eliminating some of the more gratuitous
exceptions; however, some programs can't readily be made to conform
(i.ortho.photo is probably the most extreme example).

>   My reason for doing this is to design a menu system that will make
> learning and using GRASS easier for my clients. The people using the systems
> I'm developing are geologists and engineers and totally unfamiliar with GIS.
> I need to give them both a turn-key system and one that they can use from
> scratch with minimal training as they add new data and discover new analyses
> they need/want.

In which case, you might want to look at some of what was said in the
aforementioned thread; it basically concerns the conflict between
individual programs implementing their own UI and trying to construct
a global "framework".