[GRASS5] Re: Complete module list for GRASS-5?

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Sun Jun 17 20:01:15 EDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 04:48:00PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> > > recently you (Eric) posted a list of descriptions generated from XML.
> > > Do you mind to send the script to me (I don't want to re-invent the wheel)
> > > or add it to CVS?
> >
> >   Eric did indeed generate such a list and sent it to me. As I reorganized
> > it yesterday I noticed that it was not complete. For example, as I compiled
> > the section on remotely sensed data, there was nothing appropriate for
> > aerial photographs. I added i.ortho.photo but not the internally-called
> > modules.

Okay, I've worked up a module that queries all the commands in
grass5/etc/bin/cmd with the "--interface-description".  It then
generates a directory of html files -- one for each command and an
index.  In general it's probably not very useful (the command listings
have very little explanation; unlike the "man" pages).  More "proof of
concept" than anything.  Some commands are still problematic, so there's
a switch for reporting the failed commands.

Anyway, at the moment I'm calling it g.xml2html, but that seems like a
lousy name (not very descriptive).  I'm not sure where to put it in the
cvs hierarchy.  Also, it depends on libxml (I've only built it against
libxml2, but libxml1 will probably work).  Since, it's proof of concept
and it has a dependency on a library that isn't searched for by the
configure script, I figure it shouldn't be built by default.

I was thinking it'd probably be better to explore xlst transforms, since
such things should make it easy to turn the xml into a variety of html
documents (such as forms -- though I don't really think GRASS is very
safe for internet use).

Example output: http://www.jps.net/egm2/g.xml2html/commands/index.html
Source code: http://www.jps.net/egm2/g.xml2html/g.xml2html.tar.gz

--