[GRASS5] Re: G_site_get

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Jun 22 04:44:41 EDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 09:44:47AM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> (cc to Edzer and Eduardo),
>
> it seems there is quite some confusion about G_site_get() functionality
> and the programmer's manual.
> Could anyone who is familiar with G_site_get() help us?
> Perhaps check the latest (yesterday) version of what is written in
> "GRASS  programmer's manual" and the functionality of  G_site_get()?
>
> At time I am not sure about the desired behaviour.

The current sites format requires that there be a coordinate pair,
possibly followed by "dims" - 2 more dimensions (doubles),
possibly followed by a category, possibly followed by one or more
double attributes, possibly followed by one or more string attributes.
The clincher is that every site "tuple" be consistent in number and type
and there can be no null attributes (so "3.4|2.3|5.6|#2 % %34.5" is
*not* allowed).  G_site_describe() only reads the first "tuple" to
describe the number and type of each attribute, so it's not allowed to
have:

east|north|#cat %double @"Long String" @string
east|north|#cat %double @"Single String"

Files like above would break a good number of sites programs.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>