[GRASS5] freetype support

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Jun 29 06:16:42 EDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 06:18:50PM +0530, Somesh Agarwal wrote:
> hi all ,
>    I have being trying to add freetype support to grass .

Congratulations, Somesh! This is definitely a step forward to
support more or less any language/font.

> I have being able to render the glyphs on the grass display screen (using
> ttf fonts). This means that this program can be used to print labels on
> grass display reading from a a file or inputted on the fly in unicode. Now
> I wan't to add this to the GRASS there are 2 progs which are capable to
> displaying hershey fonts on the display (namely d.label (on the fly) and
> d.labels (from a file)) . Now my question is should I add another program
> (say d.truetype or d.unicode) or make changes in the exsisting label
> programs to integrate in with GRASS. I don't wan't to keep the code I have
> written to myself but to give it away with grass. Some please englighten
> me .

I think at time a new module would be the best to see how it works. Maybe
later, when working on a better graphical user interface, the method
can be implemented directly into libraries (or whatever).

When ready, you may send your changes to me for integration. However, the
level of integration depends when to integrate it as we don't want to
break 5.0 any more :-) From one module I don't expect too much problems.

Thanks for your efforts,

 Markus Neteler