[GRASS5] Recommended tweak for 5.1

Michel Wurtz mw at teledetection.fr
Fri Mar 30 10:39:57 EST 2001

David D Gray wrote:

> Michel
>
> Work has already begun on changing the v.*.ascii spec. You can see code
> and examples in the grass51 tree. The whole setup uses indexing to refer
> to attributes (including if required ID), and will also be able to hold
> multiple types of vector primitive.

OK, thanks to you and Radim who pointed this to me (I didn't look recently
at the code and probably forget the mails anouncing that). but maybe I
must load the 5.1 tree (is there a different CVS tree than for 5.0 ?)

> > This could also lead to a complete rewrite of v.[in|out].dxf, because
> > you must use the vector library for input/output on grass side.
> > Probably a good idea, but it will take some time I have not yet !
> >

> As a separate thread recently discussed, hopefully all vector import
> will be merged into one module that will share as much functionality as
> possible. For text based formats (apart maybe from native ones), it
> might be a good idea to import data initially with a scanner utility -
> possibly lex/yacc-based. That would make updating import easy without
> having to alter core functionality significantly, and also be able to
> more easily support multiple versions of the import format.

Well, this is probably tempting, but i prefer small and dedicated
programs (i don't like the M$ Office -- or even Staroffice -- approach).
They should of course use a scanner utility library, if possible as
a shared one.

> Of course, DXF is complex, and the problem would be the initial
> investment in creating a lex/yacc pair for the initial import, which is
> much more than for simple formats like Mapinfo MIF or ungen.
or even e00, at least for the geometric part...  I agree with you

--
Michel WURTZ - DIG - Maison de la télédétection
               500, rue J.F. Breton