[GRASS5] Recommended tweak for 5.1

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Mar 29 07:19:03 EST 2001

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 09:24:40AM +0000, Michel Wurtz wrote:
> Looks also good to me... in fact, this is how m.in.e00 was written :
> the default location of the input file is "where you are" (i.e. pwd)
> That's the default behaviour of the unix "open" function. You can also
> use a relative path (input=foo/bar.e00) or an absolute path
> (input=/tmp/bar.e00).  I really don't understand what you want to
> change in m.in.e00...
>
> It's different for r.in.ascii or r.in.arc that use directories in
> $LOCATION path, respectively $LOCATION/ascii and $LOCATION/arc.
> BTW, you can use the same name for the binary and the ascii vector
> file and both use $LOCATION/dig_att for the line's or area's attribute.
> I think this was done because you need an ascii file for the import
> or export of DXF files.

What about taking this chance and modifying the import modules to
all using the unix "open" function? This v.in.dxf/2 etc. behaviour
is quite inconvenient (and many users struggle here).

I don't see much sense in keeping this oldish method and ignoring
the unix "open" function.

Just my 0.02 Euro

 Markus