[GRASS5] Recommended tweak for 5.1

Michel Wurtz mw at teledetection.fr
Thu Mar 29 04:24:40 EST 2001

Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Helena wrote:
>
> > I am not sure whether I understand this correctly but I think that the
> > preferable behavior is that if just a name of this non-GRASS file is
> > provided (e.g. in s.in.ascii, r.in.ascii etc.) GRASS looks for it into the
> > current directory, full path is needed only if it is located in a
> > different directory. I too prefer to keep non-GRASS files outside GRASS
> > database, but this issue is irrelevant to where those files are.
>
> Helena,
>
>   It is just the opposite. The full path is needed regardless of where the
> data files are located. And this is not documented anywhere.
>
> > So if I understand it correctly he just asks that e.g. m.in.e00 behaves
> > like r.in.ascii or s.in.ascii. I hope I have it right.
>
>   Looks good to me.

Looks also good to me... in fact, this is how m.in.e00 was written :
the default location of the input file is "where you are" (i.e. pwd)
That's the default behaviour of the unix "open" function. You can also
use a relative path (input=foo/bar.e00) or an absolute path
(input=/tmp/bar.e00).  I really don't understand what you want to
change in m.in.e00...

It's different for r.in.ascii or r.in.arc that use directories in
$LOCATION path, respectively $LOCATION/ascii and $LOCATION/arc.
BTW, you can use the same name for the binary and the ascii vector
file and both use $LOCATION/dig_att for the line's or area's attribute.
I think this was done because you need an ascii file for the import
or export of DXF files.

--
Michel WURTZ - DIG - Maison de la télédétection
               500, rue J.F. Breton