[GRASS5] Re: installation/compiling instruction for GRASS on

Mike Thomas miketh at brisbane.paradigmgeo.com
Tue Mar 27 22:59:45 EST 2001

Hi Malcolm.

> I will test again on Win98.  I had suspected the fork() implementation.

My memory is that I wasn't able to get the CELL driver working on '98 at the
time, which backs up your suspicion!

I can imagine that given the complexity of the Grass drivers compared to a
small test program, it may well still be fork().  I was reading about how
the Cygwin people implemented fork() yesterday and it sounds dodgey.  Maybe
Grass does something relating to program state that the test program doesn't
highlight.

I tried different socket communication modes for the CELL driver, without
success, in case it was sockets causing the problem.

> Was that using the latest cygwin DLL?

I believe so.

> Maybe the new release of XFree is better suited for our purpose.  I will
> let you know if I have success.

Thanks - I'll try again also later this week.

Mike Thomas.