[GRASS5] Recommended tweak for 5.1

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Mar 27 11:55:30 EST 2001

>   Personally, I like to keep all my non-GRASS files outside of
> the GRASS database directories.

I am not sure whether I understand this correctly but
I think that the preferable behavior is that if just a name of this
non-GRASS file is provided (e.g. in s.in.ascii, r.in.ascii etc.)
GRASS looks for it into the current directory, full path is
needed only if it is located in a different directory.
I too prefer to keep non-GRASS files outside GRASS database,
but this issue is irrelevant to where those files are.

>  So, you would trade one convenience for
> another?  I think the common behavior that non-GRASS files need a
> correct path to wherever they may live (or will live) is pretty much in
> line with just about any other command line tool (and hence is
> "intuitive").

I think that what Rich suggests is in line with how most of grass commands
work (except for some vector imports which use confusing arc directory),
he just blurred the issue by suggesting that the pwd is mapset - which,
for example, for me is almost never the case.

So if I understand it correctly he just asks that e.g. m.in.e00 behaves like
r.in.ascii
or s.in.ascii. I hope I have it right.

Helena