[GRASS5] Recommended tweak for 5.1

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Mar 27 12:17:32 EST 2001

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Eric G. Miller wrote:

> Me no grok!

  Aspirin helps.

> Do relative paths not work somehow?  I actually often am in a different
> directory than the current mapset, but for all GRASS data, I don't need
> to care.  Personally, I like to keep all my non-GRASS files outside of
> the GRASS database directories.

  That's a good point I hadn't considered. It's more a matter of personal
preference, and that's just fine. BUT, ... if the default is to remain the
same as now, the man pages need to be modified to explain how to specify the
input file name. I looked very carefully yesterday at m.in.e00 and
v.in.shape looking for an explanation of how to specify the input file, and
I found nothing.

  My "intuition" and, perhaps, that of many new GRASS users, is the file
will be sought in the pwd if it's not important enough to mention in the
docs.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)