[GRASS5] Recommended tweak for 5.1

David D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 10:47:15 EST 2001

Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I'd like to recommend a very minor change in the default behavior of data
> format conversion modules (e.g., m.in.e00, v.in.mif, v.in.shape). Rather
> than the current assumption that the data are stored in someone's desk
> drawer or the back floor of their automobile (necessitating a full-qualified
> path name for the input file), I'd like to see the pwd as the default
> directory.
>
>   If folks don't have the input file in the pwd, then a FQPN is justified.
> But, most of the time, I think we're working from the mapset and that would
> save a lot of typing.
>
> Rich

OK. If the supplied pathname contains no `/' it is assumed to be current
directory (?), if it does, it's FQ'. That' easy to change if it's OK
with everyone. In fact it might be a good default behaviour for all
modules. I recall we recently had a discussion about the special
directories `arc', `dlg' and so on, and generally they were considered
to be of little value.

David