[GRASS5] why GPL

strobe anarkhos anarkhos at mac.com
Tue Mar 27 06:24:44 EST 2001

>> What is the distinction? In all cases you need to know the
>> interface.
>
>One rule of thumb is:
>How much depends the software on the GPLled software.
>If it can be run with other software then it can be seen as a
>non-derived work.

Well this just complicates issues. For example you can create a mutable array of vectors which uses the same methods as NSMutableArray. Now I can take that object and treat it like any NSMutableArray object. I don't even have to cast the object type.

Now mentally I know I'm editing a vector set, but the code doesn't have to refer to a GRASSVectorSetMutableArray or whatever, just a generic object or an NSMutableArray.

Now does that make my code derived work?

The GPL may be stricter, but it's also more vague. At least with the LGPL I know that linking is legal, with the GPL I don't have a clue what's legal.