[GRASS5] why GPL

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Mar 27 06:53:30 EST 2001

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 03:24:44AM -0800, strobe anarkhos wrote:

> >One rule of thumb is:
> >How much depends the software on the GPLled software.
> >If it can be run with other software then it can be seen as a
> >non-derived work.
>
> Well this just complicates issues. For example you can create a
> mutable array of vectors which uses the same methods as
> NSMutableArray. Now I can take that object and treat it like any
> NSMutableArray object. I don't even have to cast the object type.
>
> Now mentally I know I'm editing a vector set, but the code doesn't
> have to refer to a GRASSVectorSetMutableArray or whatever, just a
> generic object or an NSMutableArray.
>
> Now does that make my code derived work?

No, if I understand your example correctly and apply the rule of thumb.

> The GPL may be stricter, but it's also more vague.

The deep mists of the GPL are due to the legal interpretations
in US law. That is why the GPL was crafted with the help with
experienced US lawyers. It is the law which makes the GPL so
difficult not the spirit of the license.

> At least with
> the LGPL I know that linking is legal, with the GPL I don't have a
> clue what's legal.

A question in gnu.misc.discuss might enlight you.
These questions have been beaten around there many many times.

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)