[GRASS5] Re: installation/compiling instruction for GRASS on cygwin

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Mar 27 03:19:03 EST 2001

John,

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 02:23:36PM -0700, John Huddleston wrote:
> Grass5 list,
>
> I read through the Andreas' pages.  A couple of notes for
> discussion before we make some changes:

[...]

> Perl is available in the cygwin under contrib.  So, we need to rewrite
> the note on perl.

You may have seen it: I added a perl search recently:
  checking for perl... (cached) /usr/bin/perl
We should simply add the Cygwin contrib directory to the search path.

[...]

> The links to the tarballs are going to the directory itself.  I assume
> Markus made that change.  And a good one, too; because there
> is no tarball.  I make a ZIP file.
Nope, this was done by Andreas.

>   My distribution does not rely on
> the Cygwin system to be installed.   It includes the Xfree and
> Cygwin DLLs.  So, we need to discuss if both the ZIP and the
> tarball are needed.
>
> I will add more.exe and less.exe to the next distribution.

Anyway I would be glad if
 make bindist
would generate the grass_cygwin version. I am not sure why it must be
a .zip? Cygwin is much more a unix environment.

Cheers

 Markus