[GRASS5] Proposed process for GRASS reorganization (please read)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 26 07:53:00 EST 2001

Hello Everybody,

I also agree with Roger and Bruce.
Markus and the development team have plans for 5.0 and 5.1 and 5.x
and are going for stability.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 01:47:56PM -0600, B. Byars wrote:

> Roger hits the nail on the head with the old code and the idea of
> a major revision.
>
> I propose this: We will go ahead and start a GRASS 6 forum.  We'll
> get that setup in short order and start the process on a server
> here.  I agree it's a large undertaking and should be the next
> MAJOR revision.

Thinking about this, I really would call it a redesign and
redevelopment so why call it GRASS? We call do not know if the
redesign works out and how long people will still use GRASS 5.x.
So why cutting of the possibility of the GRASS 5.x development line
to be continued in numbers.

A new free GIS project based on GRASS is certainly very good,
but I think that it should have a new name.

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)