[GRASS5] Proposed process for GRASS reorganization (please read)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 26 08:01:06 EST 2001

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 11:20:10AM -0800, strobe anarkhos wrote:
> >Less generally, I'm not very keen on generalized models or on OOP.

> I was also a huge skeptic about OO programming until I started
> using Objective-C (which wasn't long ago!). Prior to that I had
> been using C++ with others and on personal projects for several
> years.

I know OO programming a long time (about 10 years) and I have used
Objective-C on NeXTStep systems around 1993. I have to agree that
Objective-C is a very good OO language and the concept of OpenStep
(a successor of NeXTStep) is very good. Still these techniques do
not automatically create good software.

Certainly the Foundation is a good candidate to consider for a
possible new Free GIS based on GRASS, but there are others which
are contenders. What about wxPython? It is OO, platform independant
and python is even nicer than Objective-C. :)

Let me also through in the round that there are several free
software project out there trying to develop the next generation GIS.
Chjeck freegis.org  (ossim, openmap, fmaps, ...)
If we are not satisfied with how GRASS is going, we should consider
to evalutate the other projects and try to avoid their mistakes
first before starting our own rewrite.

Let me also add that I am not sure that we have enough ressources to
actually do all the changes Strobe has proposed.

	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)