[GRASS5] Re: r.poly update

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Mon Mar 26 05:12:17 EST 2001

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 09:23:18AM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi Andrea,
> hi all,
>
> (cc to grass5)
>
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 08:16:31AM +0200, Andrea Aime wrote:
> > Markus Neteler wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks, the file is in CVS now (was the island/label fix, is that right?).
> >
> > Yes, but another fix is required as soon as something is decided about
> > the use of zero values as vector categories
>
> I need a recommendation  of the others here...
> (see:
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/cgi-bin/minorweb.pl?A=READ&L=grass5/2001/3/12/11
> )

Zero is not a valid category for vectors as far as I understand.  I
suspect there will be other problems if we try to generate vectors that
have a zero category number.  It would be okay for a category value
though.  Category numbers should be positive integers.  I don't know
what a good solution would be...

> [...]
> > PS: as I'm playing with GRASS sources I've noticed in head.in that you
> > specify -g as a compiler flag (that produces debug symbols) and then -s in
> > the linker flags, that strip away any debug symbol. Would it be possibile
> > to specify some flag to gmake5 in order to obtain a debug build (maybe
> > with -ggdb flag that produces best debug information for the GNU debugger)
> > and then maybe no flags for a production build (what about optimizations?
> > computation intensive software can gain up to 30% speed-up with the proper
> > compiler optimizations).
>
> Currently I don't know how to tell configure to use
>  -O2
> instead of
>  -g
>
> I have checked configure.in, the related line seems to be line 26
> AC_PROG_CC
> Obviously something needs to be predefined for selecting -O2 on default?

You don't wont -O2 if you want debugging.  I just modify the flags
in head.$(ARCH), removing any -O flags, and removing the -s flag from
the linker flags.  Then recompile whatever you're interested in.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>