[GRASS5] Proposed process for GRASS reorganization (please read)

B. Byars Bruce_Byars at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 23 14:47:56 EST 2001

Hi Roger and everyone,

First, I totally trust Markus' hands on 5.x.  He's the team leader and will
always be.  The 5.x buck stops with him.  I'm reading over the proposal as
well.  I've been putting pen to paper on many different aspects and will share
a sort of "dream list" soon. Roger hits the nail on the head with the old code
and the idea of a major revision.

I propose this: We will go ahead and start a GRASS 6 forum.  We'll get that setup

in short order and start the process on a server here.  I agree it's a large
undertaking
and should be the next MAJOR revision.  Plus, there are many good things
that Markus and crew have planned and in the works for 5.1.  I say we let
those things run full circle.  I know it's a big temptation to run headlong into
a new major revision, but we need to be realistic and look farther down the
road than the next one or two years.  Stability is the key.  We need time for the

5.x to saturate the user community out there.  That will build a good soild user
base from which to build.  Markus is on track to stabilize 5.0 and move to
advancing
5.1 and other 5.x versions should they be applicable.  That will take some time.
But during that time, we are doing the planning and developing for the next MAJOR

revision... GRASS 6.  For the  meantime, there's still plenty of work to be done
with
5.x.  Changing directions in midstream on 5.x would be counterproductive.

As always, I am available for email, snail mail, or direct calls so fire away.

Take care all,

Bruce

--
Bruce Byars
Hydrologist and Senior Research Scientist

----