[GRASS5] Proposed process for GRASS reorganization (please read)

strobe anarkhos anarkhos at mac.com
Fri Mar 23 14:55:40 EST 2001

>Hi Roger and everyone,
>
>First, I totally trust Markus' hands on 5.x.  He's the team leader and will
>always be.  The 5.x buck stops with him.  I'm reading over the proposal as
>well.  I've been putting pen to paper on many different aspects and will share
>a sort of "dream list" soon. Roger hits the nail on the head with the old code
>and the idea of a major revision.
>
>I propose this: We will go ahead and start a GRASS 6 forum.  We'll get that setup

If we want to continue calling it GRASS that's a good idea.

If we implement this 6 will be radically different than 1-5. It would be a fresh start (which from what I've seen is a little overdue).

>in short order and start the process on a server here.  I agree it's a large
>undertaking
>and should be the next MAJOR revision.  Plus, there are many good things
>that Markus and crew have planned and in the works for 5.1.  I say we let
>those things run full circle.  I know it's a big temptation to run headlong into
>a new major revision, but we need to be realistic and look farther down the
>road than the next one or two years.  Stability is the key.  We need time for the
>
>5.x to saturate the user community out there.  That will build a good soild user
>base from which to build.  Markus is on track to stabilize 5.0 and move to
>advancing
>5.1 and other 5.x versions should they be applicable.  That will take some time.
>But during that time, we are doing the planning and developing for the next MAJOR
>
>revision... GRASS 6.  For the  meantime, there's still plenty of work to be done
>with
>5.x.  Changing directions in midstream on 5.x would be counterproductive.

In no way did I want to imply this proposal is directly related to GRASS 5 efforts, but what other forum could I bring it up?

Obviously this doesn't effect current GRASS 5 efforts. Perhaps I should have made that clear from the beginning.