[GRASS5] purpose of grass

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Mar 21 03:57:11 EST 2001

Hi dev,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 11:26:12PM -0800, dev aki wrote:
> Can GRASS API be used to interact with GIS which
> stores the data in all the vector formats like DXf and
> all the Raster formats.

I do not fully understand the question.
GRASS can work with almost all GIS data (raster and vector)
when it is imported into GRASS.

> can it be useful for my task like find all the places
> within 2 km like that provided my position is given to
> it.

GRASS is a full blown GIS and solve this question of course.
If this is the only spatial question you want to solve it might not
be the best tool, though.

> Is GRASS is a java based API.

No.

> Can any body enligt me on these issue and about GRASS
> like what purpose it is specically meant for
> regards devaki

GRASS is a general purpose full blown GIS.
This means you can answer any spatial and temporal related question
with it. Because most advanced questions require a complicated tool,
GRASS is rather complicated.

For your question, I suggest that you check  www.freegis.org
and search for java. OpenMap and GeoTools might be more suitable for
your task.

	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)