5.1 architecture (was Re: [GRASS5] sockets question)

John Reid jgreid at uow.edu.au
Wed Mar 21 03:23:13 EST 2001

Hi,

"Eric G. Miller" wrote:
<snip>

> > It's not only the display code which is 'wrong' for interactive use
> > (if I understand what you mean by that). The commands themselves are
> > also part of the problem.
>
> Yes, the architechture of the whole system is wrong...

Care to elaborate?  Do we have a better proposal?  Or even just some rough ideas?

> > If I could I would start over using the GRASS library as the starting
> > point creating a framework for model, view, and control commands but
> > I'm only one person and I have to work within my limits. As such I can
> > work with the current flawed framework (time permitting).
>
> Pretty much have to start from scratch I think...

Or could we rebuild the core libraries and define new API's (for 5.1? though
probably slightly longer term), then provide wrappers around the new code so
existing commands don't break?  Should be possible for at least part of the
library, such as the catalogue services and region of interest - though as a
newbie to grass I could well be wrong about that ;-)

> > My display driver will eventually support interactive features like
> > limitless undo/redo, persistence, zooming, WYSIWYG printing, etc.
> > However to create interactive features like group selection and so on
> > we will have to create a new framework so that graphics can be treated
> > as objects. It would be possible to use my work as a point to begin
> > this framework, but I don't think I'll be doing it myself (unless I
> > get paid or something).
>
> Well, maybe as we get a better idea of what you have in mind, we can
> have multiple people work on it...
>
> > In my experience it's difficult to get popular support for such things
> > especially when they are used to crummy interfaces.
>
> Well, there is comfort in using what you already know.  But, I think
> most people would warm nicely to a well-designed GUI for GRASS.

Just a thought :-)

cheers,
John
john reid                                  e-mail john_reid at uow.edu.au
technical officer                                room G02, building 41
school of geosciences                           phone +61 02 4221 3963
university of wollongong                          fax +61 02 4221 4250

uproot your questions from their ground and the dangling roots will be
seen.  more questions!
                                                       -mentat zensufi

apply standard disclaimers as desired...