[GRASS5] fwd: [Re: [SQLGRASS] Searching for GRASS 5.1 built-in DBMS]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Mar 6 10:13:34 EST 2001

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Andrea Aime wrote:

> Postgres is an excellent choice if you have a GIS that handles both
> spatial and tabular data, and in particular if they are related to each
> other (Ref. int.), but maybe it would make a bit complicated to
> import/export data, since databases are composed of several files placed
> in a standard directory (I may be wrong, but I think that all database
> should reside in /var/lib/pgsql/data, or another folder decided at install
> time).

  I do believe that all GISs have spatial and related attribute data. That's
implicit in a GIS. Regardless, supposedly environment variables to alternate
database locations (e.g., $PGDATA2) would work in 7.0. It was broken in 6.x
(took me a long time to learn that!) but on the list of changes for the new
version. I've not yet tested this. But, that removes the problem of having
attribute data far away from spatial data.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com