[GRASS5] fwd: [Re: [SQLGRASS] Searching for GRASS 5.1 built-in DBMS]

Andrea Aime aaime at comune.modena.it
Tue Mar 6 09:04:02 EST 2001

Well,
I can confirm that PostgreSQL has referential integrity (Release 7.0).
For what I hear, 7.1 will support outer joins, bigger tuples and should
be faster than the previous release. Moreover, it can support spatial
data
and has R-tree indexing built in... Postgres is an excellent choice if
you
have a GIS that handles both spatial and tabular data, and in particular
if they are related to each other (Ref. int.), but maybe it would make
a bit complicated to import/export data, since databases are composed of
several files placed in a standard directory (I may be wrong, but I
think
that all database should reside in /var/lib/pgsql/data, or another
folder
decided at install time). An export file should be composed of geometry
and
a dump of the table it references. At import time, table name could
conflict
with already existent tables... well, these are not big problems, but
it's
necessary to be aware of them. On the other side, an approach wich uses
only
file may be slow for what concerns thematic queryes (if attributes are
kept
in a file, how are they indexed for fast retrivial?)
Just opinions...
Bye
Andrea Aime