[GRASS5] Re: Known Solaris 7 issues with beta 11]

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Mar 5 08:03:53 EST 2001

Hi Federico,
hi all,

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:21:13PM +0100, Federico Ponchio wrote:
> Hello,
> 	i installed a CVS Snapshot on solaris.
> Heres the problems i encountered, hoping someone can fix them.
>
> 1) i had the usual problem in libes/gis/flate.c and the
> HAVE_ZLIB_H flag which should be set and its not so that
> break compile breaks is. (someone already pointed it out).
Mhhh. Currently it is set on all platforms as far as I know
(I have tested on Solaris). The problem will be that
zlib.h
is not found. Try:
configure --with-zlib-includes=DIR

> 2) solaris tar is quite stupid:
>
> 	tar cBf - bin/  gives error while
> 	tar cBf - bin   is ok (yes its the slash at the en the problem
>
> so it wont install unless i do not modify the Makefile accordingly.
Does
 tar cBf - bin/*
work?
Justin, what do you think?

> 3) in Init.sh there are some lines added regarding LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> i had to remove them (script failing otherwise).
Could you send the error message? This is required for r.in.gdal.

> 4) (minor one) configure didn't notice that "ar" was not in my path
> and libgis.a could not be created... (ar: command not found) unexperienced
> users (not that i feel that experienced) may easily get confused.
Mhh, isn't "ar" usually in the path? Sorry, no idea how to change that.
Perhaps you just set a link :-)

> 5) Im afraid some modules will segment and fault or will take the wrong
> bus cause i had no idea if icompiled for 64 or 32 bit.
> v.in.shape faulted for example (while on my linux box, on the same file
> works correctly (apart from requiring tons of ram.)
> Will someone help me?
64 or 32 bit compilanbce is checked here:
src/CMD/generic/is64bit.sh
and used in Makefile. Can this be utilized?

> Hope this was useful.
Yes!

> See you people.
> 			Federico.