[GRASS5] sockets -> default!

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 5 05:45:59 EST 2001

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 02:36:20PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Hi Markus
>
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> > are there any objections to make "--with-socket" the
> > default driver in configure?
>
> Well, seeing as most of the problems with process communication we are
> currently experiencing (eg broken Makefile) is from trying to support 3
> types of communication, I would suggest that we pick a single
> implementation and strip out the others from the code.

We should leave fifos and sockects in.
Fifos are known to work on some platforms we have not tested yet.
So they have to be provided as a fallback.

Sockets seems to work best on most our testing platforms, so I vote
for making them the default.

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)