[GRASS5] GRASS stable/exp branches

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 5 05:42:34 EST 2001

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 04:11:14PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Radim Blazek wrote:
> > When do you think development in 5.1 will be started (event + date)?
> > Yes, 5.1 is almost empty and it will always be until we start there.
>
> I'm not sure of the date, but I feel that moving the code to the 5.1
> tree should be the number 1 priority after 5.0 is released.

I agree.

> > Will be new features commited into 5.0 (devel branch) released in
> > some 5.0.x?
>
> I would say no, but this is based on my understanding of version
> numbers.

Well it is really hard to decide when we have a new feature and when
we have a bug-fix. This is a case to case decision. Just look at
what goes into the Linux Kernel.

One important criteria is how much is likely to break with the new addition.

> This brings up the point of what version we should associate with the
> new directory structure. Since the new directory structure and new
> Makefile system is a radical change to grass, then I would suggest that
> this code be labeled 6.0 not 5.1, and that all the CVS file versions get
> bumped up to 2.0

The CVS version numbers are not important at all, of course. :)

About the 5.1 and 6. numbering, I am still not sure.
I still feel that 5.1 task is mostly a big reorganisation or the
source which will prepare for more radical changes.

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)