[GRASS5] GRASS stable/exp branches

Radim Blazek Radim.Blazek at dhv.cz
Sun Mar 4 03:08:14 EST 2001

Hi Justin and all,

> > I am probably missing something but if we say that only bugfixes will
> > go into grass5.0.x and grass51 is already established in NEW
> > repository (RESTRUCTURED:
> > http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass51/  ),
> > I don't see why we need branches (at this moment and in at least next
> > year)
>
> Well, if you check this part of the tree, it is almost empty with only a
> few modules there (the new vector format I think). Until we actually
> create the new directory structure, and move the modules to their new
> locations, then the 5.1 tree is unusable for development on current
> modules.

When do you think development in 5.1 will be started (event + date)?
Yes, 5.1 is almost empty and it will always be until we start there.

Will be new features commited into 5.0 (devel branch) released in some 5.0.x?

Why:
5.0b11 - -> 5.0.0 -> 5.0.1 -> ...    (stable)
           \          ^          ^
             -> devel branch  - -> stop
                                       \
                          -> 5.1 -> x -> 5.1 ->

instead of:
5.0b11 - -> 5.0.0 -> 5.0.1 -> ...    (stable)
           \
             -> 5.1 ->

> However, brand new modules can be added there (although with
> great care, since the new structure is not finalized).
>
> So, while most of us are working on bug fixes (hopefully) for the stable
> branch. Updates can still be made to the existing modules through the
> main branch. If we don't branch, then something like what happened for
> beta 11 (code was committed during pre-testing) can occur. The branch is
> just an extra precaution to try and prevent this type of error.

Radim