[GRASS5] Tutorial Chapter 5 (ch5a.ps) and SGI sockets

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Mar 1 03:51:46 EST 2001

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 11:24:47AM +1000, Mike Thomas wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I got bored with trying to get Grass working on Windows 98, and decided to
> treat myself and build and run grass on an SGI Octane at work (with
> sockets).
>
> Very nice - it's fun to use Grass rather than trying to debug it! The
> sockets seem to be working fine.
>
> "Issues":
>
> 1. On startup it gives this self explanatory message, which I report only
> because it asks me to:
> 50 miketh(1)@canetoad % ../grass/bin.mips-sgi-irix6.5/grass5 -tcltk
> Starting GRASS ...
> application-specific initialization failed: Can't find a usable init.tcl in
> the following directories:
>     /usr/local/lib/tcl7.6 /usr/local/lib/tcl7.6 /usr/tcl7.6/library
> /usr/local/library
> This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.
>
> Sorry your version of Tcl/Tk is 7.6 and is too old for GRASS.
> GRASS requires a TCL/TK version of 8.0 or more.
> Reverting back to text mode interface.
> Please report this error to the Grass developers
> Switching to text mode
> Hit RETURN to continue...
Hi Mike,

it says: your version of Tcl/Tk is 7.6 and is too old for GRASS. GRASS
requires a TCL/TK version of 8.0 or more.
-> update tcl/tk libraries (see REQUIREMENTS for URL)

> 2.  When doing the Chapter 5 of the Spearfish tutorial, r.reclass gives this
> message:
> Mapset <miketh> in Location <spearfish>
> GRASS 5.0beta12 > r.reclass input=landuse.tmp output=landuse.landfill
> title="Acceptable Landuse"
> ERROR: landuse.tmp is a reclass of another map. Exiting.
>        Use r.mapcalc to generate a copy of input map landuse.tmp to work
> with
> Mapset <miketh> in Location <spearfish>
>
> How do I fix this and why does it happen?
It says: landuse.tmp is a reclass of another map. Exiting. Use r.mapcalc to
generate a copy of input map landuse.tmp to work

If you look at the manual page of r.reclass, you see:
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/gdp/html_grass5/html/r.reclass.html
" NOTES

 In fact, the r.reclass program does not generate any new raster map layers
 (in the interests of disk space conservation). Instead, a reclass table is
 stored which will be used to reclassify the original raster map layer each
 time the new (reclassed) map name is requested.
 ..."

There you find more explanations.

> Cheers
>
> Mike Thomas.