[GRASS5] Re: Terminal Errors

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu May 17 21:45:04 EDT 2001

Jeshua Lacock wrote:

> I just looked, and I do not have a /usr/lib/terminfo, in fact there is
> not a terminfo anywhere on my system.   Could that be the problem?  How
> might I create such a file?

"terminfo" is a directory, containing lots of one-character
subdirectories, each containing one file per terminal. E.g. the file
for "xterm" would be .../terminfo/x/xterm. The files are created with
"tic".

Looking back at Andy's emails, it seems that the curses library
supplied with MacOS X doesn't use terminfo, but instead uses the older
"termcap" file (typically /etc/termcap, although an email from Andy
suggests that it is /usr/share/misc/termcap). Also, it appears that
the relevant environment variables may be set incorrectly.

Try setting TERMCAP and/or TERMPATH to /usr/share/misc/termcap, e.g.

	TERMCAP=/usr/share/misc/termcap
	export TERMCAP

for Bourne shell or

	setenv TERMCAP /usr/share/misc/termcap