[GRASS5] Re: Terminal Errors

andy agena andya at inebraska.com
Thu May 17 22:10:32 EDT 2001

Hi Jeshua:

I never figured this out (a small piece of Glynn's suggestions for me
are pasted below).  I have a feeling this goes back to some change in
the dynamic libraries problem I encountered with the CVS version.  I
suspect that there was some change in OS X between the the public beta
and 10.0.x (I'm using 10.0.3).

However, this might be a start for you:

[localhost:/usr/share/misc] root# ls
  termcap         termcap.db  [et al.]
[localhost:/usr/share/misc] root# $TERMCAP
d0|vt100|vt100-am|vt100am|dec: No match.
[localhost:/usr/share/misc] root# $TERMPATH
TERMPATH: Undefined variable.
[localhost:/usr/share/misc] root#

Andy

<snip>

> I just looked, and I do not have a /usr/lib/terminfo, in fact there is
> not a terminfo anywhere on my system.   Could that be the problem?  How
> might I create such a file?

[from correspondence with Glynn:]

i found the following (this was in libSystem.B.dylib):

TERMCAP
TERMPATH
HOME
.termcap /usr/share/misc/termcap

so i:

[localhost:/usr/share/misc] andya% $TERMCAP
d0|vt100|vt100-am|vt100am|dec: No match.

TERMCAP is set to "d0|vt100|vt100-am|vt100am|dec"? That isn't right.
It should be either the path to the termcap file, or a termcap-format
entry which describes the terminal; see below.

[localhost:/usr/share/misc] andya% $TERMPATH
TERMPATH: Undefined variable.
[localhost:/usr/share/misc] andya% ls
termcap         termcap.db      [among others]

"termcap" should be a plain text file, listing all of the different
terminals. termcap.db is presumably a compiled version, but I don't
know what would be used to compile it (GNU ncurses doesn't use a
compiled termcap).

do you think i need to [somehow] define TERMPATH?  or, do you want me to
forward termcap and termcap.db to you so you can take a look?

It might suffice to set TERMCAP, e.g.

	setenv TERMCAP /usr/share/misc/termcap