[GRASS5] Output window in tcltkgrass

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Fri May 11 05:19:10 EDT 2001

Hi Markus

Markus Neteler wrote:
> a small sidenote: I have added this percentage output due to the
> changes in XDRIVER - when drawing large maps, you may wait a few
> seconds until the image is draw completely in one step. In past, with
> line-by-line drawing in d.rast the user has been seeing what's
> ongoing. To avoid confusion, d.rast chats now.

Yes, I agree that the percentage output needs to stay as it is very
crucial as you point out. I just want to change the GUI in tcltkgrass.

> However, these left-over windows (some other modules are affected,
> too), are quite inconvenient. Maybe the messages could be directly
> printed into a tcltkgrass module window?
>
> +-----------------------------+
> |        d.rast               |
> +-----------------------------+
> |Raster map to be displayed:  |
> |  ______________ raster      |
> |                             |
> |o Overlay                    |
> |-----------------------------+
> |d.rast_____________________  |
> +-----------------------------+
> |     New message board       |  <- here all related messages should
> +_____________________________+     appear instead of opening another
>                                     window.
>
> This would definitly improve the optical impression of tcltkgrass.

This is a good idea! I think I could change it without too much trouble
if somebody could point me to the correct place in the code to make
these changes.

> > The proper thing to do would be to have d.rast pop up a process
> > indicator (I think there is one in bwidget) that is destroyed when
> > complete but I'm not sure how much work that would be.
>
> Question is how the G_percent() communicates with external modules...

I know how to do this. It is the same technique I will use with the new
initialization code. Basically, separate the interface from the code. So
where G_percent calls fprintf() we replace with something like
DisplayPercent() which will do the proper thing (call fprintf or a
Tcl/Tk function) depending on the current interface. However, I would
not propose this change until 5.1.

So, can anyone give me some pointers in changing the module windows in
tcltkgrass?

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th