[GRASS5] Output window in tcltkgrass

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu May 10 09:23:40 EDT 2001

Hi Justin,

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 03:16:43PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Is there a way in tcltkgrass to have the output window automatically
> destroy itself for a particular module? With the change to d.rast to
> output a percentage indicator, tcltkgrass pops up a window to display
> this output. However, by default, the user must close the window
> directly, which is a pain in this case. Can we change this behaviour for
> d.rast so that it automatically closes?

a small sidenote: I have added this percentage output due to the changes
in XDRIVER - when drawing large maps, you may wait a few seconds until
the image is draw completely in one step. In past, with line-by-line
drawing in d.rast the user has been seeing what's ongoing. To avoid
confusion, d.rast chats now.

However, these left-over windows (some other modules are affected, too),
are quite inconvenient. Maybe the messages could be directly printed into
a tcltkgrass module window?

+-----------------------------+
|        d.rast               |
+-----------------------------+
|Raster map to be displayed:  |
|  ______________ raster      |
|                             |
|o Overlay                    |
|-----------------------------+
|d.rast_____________________  |
+-----------------------------+
|     New message board       |     <- here all related messages should
+_____________________________+        appear instead of opening another
                                       window.

This would definitly improve the optical impression of tcltkgrass.

> The proper thing to do would be to have d.rast pop up a process
> indicator (I think there is one in bwidget) that is destroyed when
> complete but I'm not sure how much work that would be.

Question is how the G_percent() communicates with external modules...

Just my 0.02 Euro,

 Markus