[GRASS5] v.to.sites question

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Nov 19 11:30:12 EST 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> today I tried to generate a sites file from a vector map
> (containing a circle). However, the result was not what
> I expect from the man page:
>
>   "If -a flag is selected,
>    v.to.sites  extracts all vertices from a vector file, if not selected,
>    it  extracts  site (point) features only, ignoring lines and areas. If
>    -i  flag  is selected then, for each line, if the distance between any
>    two  vertices on this line is greater that dmax, additional points are
>    added to keep the distance withing dmax range."
>
> I thought that lots of sites are generated along the vector lines (that's
> what I need). Am I wrong in my assumption? Is it a bug or a feature...?

Markus, check your parameters, if you selected -i a spline function is
used to generate additional points along your line, I haven't used it for a
while,
but it used to work (often I forgot to change dmax and it was generating
lots of points along contours causing problems with segmentation in
s.surf.rst for reasons
which are beyond this answer to explain, so now I make sure that my dmax is
really
large so that v.to.sites does not add any addtional sites to my data). Also
make sure that
you use -c if necessary. So unless somebody has changed it, it should work
and I suggest that you check your parameters and your data (make sure that
dmax is smaller
than the distances between your data points if you want additional data)

Helena