[GRASS5] suggestion for developers meeting

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Nov 20 11:59:49 EST 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 12:42:37PM -0500, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> > I would like to suggest to include the release of GRASS5 as an item for the
> > upcomming meeting in Trento.
> > I mean not just discuss it but rather doing it. It may be easier just to go
> > through the
> > list of remaining bugs together and decide on the spot whether they are
> > release critical and, if they are not
> > (which I hope is the case) release GRASS5 so that GRASS5.1 can be started.
> > It will fit with Bernhards presentation.
>
> Helena,
>
> why not... I also thought about a release (would be a nice item and
> reason to enjoy the evening).
>
> > It appeared that we were pretty close to the release but now it seems to be
> > going away again.
>
> The only problem is that a few basic thinks still don't work.
> As requested I have tagged the critical bugs to "70" priority.
> Feel free to downgrade them.

Markus some of your 70 priority bugs were identified as users error or wishes -
so maybe whoever looked at the bug and changes it to wish can also change
the priority (i haven't yet figured out how to do it, but I must admit that I
did not try too hard,
do I need to login?)
In fact the big group of bugs that came recently and that you put at 70 were
really more inconvenieces, inconsistencies and wishes rather than bugs.
Even replacing d.legend by d.leg.thin should not be critical, although I am the
one
crying the loudest to get the legends working better (3 things are needed: add
show=val,cats to d.leg.thin,
make it possible to place and size the legend with a mouse for discrete
categories,
and have an option to define the values to be used in the legend to support
non-linear
maps) - but you can still do a lot of work with GRASS without these
capabilities.

What seems to be serious is 825  r.poly - Glynn suggest : Andrea would you have
time to look at it?
819 requires just adding a warning to i.rectify if system ifs full - can
somebody do that? Otherwise
this could be downgraded to 30 (should the system let the user know that the
system is full?)
818 import of arcinfo files seems to be serious and complex so some decision
needs to be
taken as whether it could be solved or whether we just admit the the manual that
not all
cases of e00 can be imported.

So it indeed looks like more work needs to be done, although I am concerned that
given the size
of GRASS, as soon as the release is done, we would get tons of additional bugs
and wishes.
Maybe we should say for the release that vast majority of modules is bugfree and
reliable, however
there are few that need some fixing for special cases of data and/or are not
fully consistent with
the rest of the modules and we welcome the contribution of additional users and
developers
in identifying and fixing those bugs, to make GRASS truly robust and reliable.
(wow, that is
a long sentence).

So I don't really know, as one can always dowload some pre* version and not
really care
whether it is called stable, final release or not.

Helena