[GRASS5] Which colors are right?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Nov 22 03:44:20 EST 2001

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:36:49PM -0800, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:44:50 -0800
> "Eric G. Miller" <egm2 at jps.net> wrote:
>
> > So, I was looking at fixing that d.area dig_list problem, when I found
> > the current sources don't compile.  Amongst the rubble was the redefinition
> > of all the defined colors in colors.h and vect/dig_defines.h -- and the
> > definitions don't match!  How this could be the case for so long and
> > not cause an error, I don't know.  But, the GRASS standard color defines
> > should only live in one place.  I'm voting to drop the definitions in
> > dig_defines and have it include colors.h.  But, I don't yet know the
> > ramifications of doing so...
>
> As follow-up, I made a few modifications to colors.h and vect/dig_defines.h
> and so far it looks okay.  I'm updating my CVS and will do a rebuild followed
> by some other checks.  At least v.digit seemed to get color numbers by
> string name, so it seems okay...

Hi,

I have searched the source code for more local color definitions:

#define MY_COLOR_LIST
"red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,white,black,brown,magenta,aqua,gray,grey,fromcell"
293716   12 -rw-r--r--   1 neteler  ssi         10177 Nov 13 14:17
./src/display/d.rast.num/number.c

	opt2->options =
"white,red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,violet,magenta,brown,gray,black";
 33676    4 -rw-rw-r--   1 neteler  ssi          2737 Aug 24 15:28
./src/display/d.vect.cats/main.c

#define D_COLOR_LIST
"red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,white,black,brown,magenta,aqua,gray,grey"
131084   12 -rw-r--r--   1 neteler  ssi          9856 Oct 19 14:55
./src/display/d.vect.labels/main.c

      fprintf(stderr," orange grey magenta aqua indigo violet brown\n\n");
 32785    4 -rw-rw-r--   1 neteler  ssi          3147 Jul  7  2000
./src/mapdev/v.area/where_am_i.c

"orange", "gray", "brown", "magenta", "white", "indigo", "NULL"};
    y_color_opt->options =
"white,red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,magenta,violet,brown,gray,black";
    t_color_opt->options =
"white,red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,magenta,violet,brown,gray,black";
358518   20 -rw-rw-r--   1 neteler  ssi         18362 Jun 18 11:20
./src.contrib/PURDUE/d.linegraph/cmd/linegraph.c

    plot->description =
"Colors:red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,violet,magenta,brown,gray,white,black;Icon:diamond,
box, plus, x; Size: 1-9. ";
244596    8 -rw-rw-r--   1 neteler  ssi          4749 Aug  6 16:08
./src.garden/grass.postgresql/d.site.pg/main.c

At least these are suspicious. For parameters the function
D_color_list();
should be fine instead of harcoding the colors.

Due to the conference I cannot change that, anyone else volunteering?

Thanks in advance,

 Markus