[GRASS5] pre2 nviz & darwin -- part ii

Bob Covill bcovill at tekmap.ns.ca
Fri Oct 26 20:27:27 EDT 2001

andy agena wrote:

> hi helena:
>
> nviz -q (with or without tcltkgrass running) very briefly flashes the
> "wait_ok" and nviz boxes, then gives the '"wait_ok" already exists in
> parent' error in the xterm.  the nviz i/o box doesn't appear.
>
> using the tcltkgrass menu for nviz pops up three windows (wait_ok, nviz
> i/o, and  nviz), nviz i/o says:  'loading data,' 'update elev null
> mask,' 'loading data,' 'translating colors,' then ends with 'sorry,
> <el=> is ambiguous' (this "el=" is passed from the command line box in
> the nviz dialog and i can't edit it).
>
> take care,
> andy
>
> p.s. please cc me as well, as i'm a digest lister.  thanks.

Andy,

This sounds like a very unusual error. If I understand correctly, you
cannot start nviz with the command "nviz -q".  You get the "already
exists ..." error you mention above. That error sounds like TCL cannot
address the window ID correctly. Are you running the session remotely
(telnet, etc)? Also, you may want to check and see if there are any
stale nviz's running. You can check this with something like "ps -aef |
grep NVWISH2.2".

If you have access to the program files you can edit the nviz tcltkgrass
startup module to change the "el=" option you mention above. The file to
edit is in $GISBASE/tcltkgrass/module and is entitled nviz. Simply
change the option "el" to any other legal value (anything from "e" to
"elevation"). You could also try these variations on the command line to
see what is going on.

Hope this helps.

--
Bob Covill