[GRASS5] difficulties with r.proj (was: Temporal data in GRASS?)

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat Oct 27 06:10:25 EDT 2001

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 05:52:58PM -0700, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:19:14 -0400, Carl Worth <cworth at east.isi.edu> wrote:
>
> > Carl Worth writes:
> >  > Markus Neteler writes:
> >  >  > g.region rast=imported_map
> >  >
> >  > Whoops... that was my problem. Somehow I thought my elevation and map
> >  > data were for the exact same region, but I guess not. I feel foolish.
> >
> > I'm making headway, but I'm also causing new problems.
> >
> > My two datasets *are* both for the same region -- the problem was that
> > the data were in two different projections, (UTM vs. Albers Equal
> > Area). I've now got each one imported into its own location and I can
> > view each one separately just fine.
> >
> > But, of course, I'd like to see them together, so I need to transform
> > one into the projection of the other. r.proj looks to fit the bill
> > exactly, but I'm getting the following:
> >
> > 	GRASS > r.proj input=amap location=albers
> > 	cannot initialize pj
> > 	cause: projection not named
> > 	ERROR: Can't get projection key values of output map
>
> I'm guessing you imported your data with r.in.gdal?  Recently there
> have been some changes to fix the problem of not completely defining
> the region when r.in.gdal creates a new location.  You can probably
> fix it by running g.setproj with the correct parameters.  Otherwise,
> please try the new r.in.gdal in CVS.

Hi Carl,

a confirmation: Yes, please use the current CVS version. All
others may fail. The problem is that GRASS still uses the older
PROJ4 with additional private definitions not supported by PROJ4.
These inconsistencies have been "work-arounded" last week (in CVS).

The new 5.1 will be fully synchronized with PROJ4, maybe PROJ4
will be extended for that (according to Frank Warmerdam).

So, please update and re-import, then everything should be
fine. If not, it will be another bug to be fixed.

Best regards
Markus