[GRASS5] difficulties with r.proj

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Mon Oct 29 10:31:37 EST 2001

Markus Neteler writes:
 > On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 05:52:58PM -0700, Eric G. Miller wrote:
 > > I'm guessing you imported your data with r.in.gdal?  Recently there
 > > have been some changes to fix the problem of not completely defining
 > > the region when r.in.gdal creates a new location.  You can probably
 > > fix it by running g.setproj with the correct parameters.  Otherwise,
 > > please try the new r.in.gdal in CVS.
 >
 > a confirmation: Yes, please use the current CVS version. All
 > others may fail.

Thanks for your correct diagnosis. I had indeed created my location
using r.in.gdal.

I tried to update to the latest cvs, but I didn't see any
improvement. I updated to the head of the tree using "cvs update -Ad".
Do I actually want to be on a branch instead?

I tried to use g.setproj to fix things but it croaked:

	Would you still like to change some of the parameters (y/n) [n] y
	Do you want to specify a map datum for this location?(y/n) [n] y

	Please specify datum name
	Enter 'list' for the list of available datums
	Hit RETURN to cancel request
	>nad27
	ERROR: invalid input ellipsoid

The significant thing to notice here is that it never printed the
current ellipsoid, nor did it prompt for me to change the ellipsoid.

By manually creating a location and comparing the PROJ_INFO files I
could see that many parameters were missing from the one created by
r.in.gdal. And worse, it had "ellps: clrk66" rather than "ellps:
clark66". I don't know who's fault that was. But after I changed that
manually, I was able to get g.setproj to straighten things out for
me.

So, it looks like g.setproj needs to be fixed to prompt to change the
ellipsoid if the current one is invalid.

Anyway, I'm up and running now, (except for the CVS issue), so thanks
for the help.

-Carl

--
Carl Worth
USC Information Sciences Institute                 cworth at east.isi.edu
3811 N. Fairfax Dr. #200, Arlington VA 22203		  703-812-3725