[GRASS5] GRASS compilation on cygwin and IRIX

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Sep 6 07:48:31 EDT 2001

Andreas Lange wrote:

> > Note that GD is tested twice, once without $PNGLIB, and once with. If
> > your libgd is linked against libpng (and doesn't have dependency
> > information), the first test will fail. The above is the first test
> > failing. It's the second test which is relevant.
>

> On my Linux system (Red Hat 7 based) i have installed the latest gd
> (1.8.4) version. This is linked against jpeg. So the second test does
> fail too.
> This is the reason that libgd is _not_ found by configure. There should
> be an additional test with $JPEGLIB added.

OK; I'll add a test for that.

Unfortunately, the only way to determine what dependencies to try is
to collect reports of "configure fails to find libX because it needs libY".

> on cygwin:
>
> $ gcc -L/usr/local/lib -lgd -lpng -ljpeg -lz test-gd.c
> /cygdrive/c/DOKUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOKALE~1/Temp/ccIa0X86.o(.text+0x17):test-gd.c:
> undefined reference to `gdImagePng'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> (same with re-ordering of libraries, adding -lz etc, other paths etc.)

Does libpng not have gdImageGif either?

> But with the latest CVS updates there are more problems on cygwin:
>
> $ cat error.log
> GRASS GIS compilation log
> Start of compilation: Thu Sep  6 09:38:18  2001
> Errors:
> Compilation error in module: src/imagery/i.fft (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/imagery/i.zc (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.surf.fractal (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src.contrib/GMSL/NVIZ2.2 (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src.contrib/CERL/imagery/i.shape (ignored)

You need the FFTW library (www.fftw.org) for these (except NVIZ). The
previous FFT implementation was non-GPL and was removed.