[GRASS5] r.in.gdal and GCPs

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 5 22:19:39 EDT 2001

Markus,

I have committed a change to r.in.gdal to support GCPs.  If GCPs are
detected an imagery group will be made, even if normally only a raster
would have been created, and the GCPs are written out to a POINTS file.
The user will still have to pick an appropriate location and mapset to
rectify to with i.target, and use i.rectify to take advantage of the
GCPs.

I also realized that I can't translate signed integers to FTYPE_CELL
because it is unsigned.  That means that complex integer bands must be
converted to floating point layers as occurs now, contrary to the
change I tried this morning.

I have tried the altered r.in.gdal with ERS2 CEOS and other datasets and
they seem to work OK, though I found it challenging to visualize the
resulting images.  How does one normally display floating point data in
a monitor?  I even tried converting the complex images to magnitude and
scaling with r.mapcalc, but somehow I wasn't doing it right. Also, how
do I get information on the min, max, and mean of a raster?  I tried
r.info, r.describe, and r.stats but couldn't seem to find what I would
wanting.

Best regards,