[GRASS5] Autopan weirdness in v.digit

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Sep 19 03:09:03 EDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 09:32:01PM -0700, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> Does anyone object to excising the code from v.digit/slid_window.c that
> sets "button =-1", and the associated "case -1:" switch body?  The
> behavior exhibited is highly dependent on window manager focus settings
> and the tight loop it goes into just burns CPU cycles.  I personally don't
> see the behavior is very useful, and find it somewhat obnoxious how the
> mouse cursor appears to be flipping out and the v.digit terminal display
> is being constantly rewritten (with flashing).
>
> I know setting GRASS_PAN_THRESHOLD=0 will stop this behavior, but will new
> users?

The idea of auto-panning was to be able to digitize large maps
without needing to regularly change the menus etc. (manual pan).
The current implementation was done by Huidae, I feel, there are
not too many ways to implement such an auto-pan.
The auto-pan was requested by lots of users, unfortunately it is
very CPU intensive.

However, improvements are always welcome :-)

Markus