[GRASS5] configure on cygwin, freebsd, solaris, irix

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Fri Sep 21 15:08:48 EDT 2001

Hi Glynn,

thank you very much for your work.

Glynn Clements wrote:

> I think that I've found the problem; configure.in uses:
>
>         LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS $GDLIB"
>         AC_CHECK_FUNCS(gdImageGif gdImagePng)
>         LDFLAGS=${ac_save_ldflags}
>
> This results in the check:
>
> configure:5068: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   -I/usr/local/include   -L/usr/local/lib  -lgd conftest.c  1>&5
>
> Note that "-lgd" comes before "conftest.c"; this won't work for static
> libraries. I'll commit a fix shortly (basically, use multiple
> AC_CHECK_LIB tests instead of AC_CHECK_FUNCS).

That sounds very reasonable, i'll test another time.

> That may not be enough for Solaris:
>
> ld: warning: file libucb.so.1: required by /usr/local/lib/libpng.so, not found
>
> Let me know whether the updated version works for Solaris.

I'll test, but i think my solaris 7 installation is somehow botched. I
plan to upgrade to solaris 8 soon, so i can not promise anything. The
machine is an older server with 8bit display, so i do not plan to use
GRASS myself on solaris.

> > On cygwin i have the problem with the postgresql modules that the
> > Gmakefiles have $(XEXTRALIBS) as dependencies, which resolves to -lipc
> > on cygwin, which causes an error. Is it safe to remove the $(XEXTRALIBS)
> > from the dependency line?
>
> All of XEXTRALIBS, PQLIBPATH and PQLIB should be removed from the
> definition of LIBES and moved to the compilation command(s), as is the
> case for MATHLIB and XDRLIB.
>
> In general, external libraries should *never* appear in the dependency
> list, either directly or indirectly (e.g. via LIBES), as they will be
> of the form "-lfoo".
>
> The only libraries which should appear as dependencies are those which
> are part of GRASS itself (e.g. from src/libes), as they will be actual
> pathnames (e.g. "$(LIBDIR)/$(LIBARCH)/libgis.a").

I fixed all Gmakefiles below src.garden/grass.postgresql. I don't think
that there are other Gmakefiles where this is still wrong.

I don't think that it is a good idea to make blas and lapack not found
an error in configure, as these libraries are not used. Or there should
be a hint in the documentation that --enable-blas=no and
--enable-lapack=no must be set.

cu,

Andreas

url: http://mitglied.tripod.de/AndreasLange
mail: Andreas.Lange_at_Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange_at_GMX.net