[GRASS5] raster file history question

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Apr 4 06:35:58 EST 2002

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 06:29:37PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > for a few modules I would like to add the feature that
> > the invoking command lines is stored into the raster file history.
> >
> > It will be trivial, but I don't get the command line into
> > a string.
>
> Maybe it is just me, but I don't understand the question.

I think Markus has something here, but I agree it could be clearer. Is
what you were thinking of a kind of audit trail, so that one could trace
which commands had led to a given map object being in its current state in
the location? Something like appending the verbatim command line (plus the
working directory address etc.) to a file somewhere. To do that, one could
either use a daemon mechanism to harvest change data during a session, or
insert an extra function in gisinit.c or similar to grab the command line
for command line programs, or line some other way of inserting such a
function after arguments have been set interactively (more
cumbersome). I think it becomes top-heavy when the output inherits
histories from multiple parents.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
and: Department of Geography and Regional Development, University of
Gdansk, al. Mar. J. Pilsudskiego 46, PL-81 378 Gdynia, Poland.