[GRASS5] Imagery GROUP file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Apr 15 09:34:28 EDT 2002

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Consequently, I've changed the definitions so that the files are
> always called CURGROUP and CURSUBGROUP.
>
> Users will need to rename (or re-create) any GROUP/SUBGROUP files
> after updating to the new code.
>
> Also, any supplied datasets (e.g. "imagery") will need to be updated.

Glynn,

While I concur with your reasoning is it possible to do anything with the
code to improve backward compatibility?  Perhaps if no CURGROUP directory
is found, the GROUP directory could be tried?  I realize implementation may
be a little more complicated than that.

I humbly feel that changes like this can cause major user confusion and
inconvenience and that all reasonable efforts should be made to smooth the
compatability issues from the code side.

Finally, it would be nice to have a script that could be run to convert a
datastore to the new naming convention if backward compatibility can't be
maintained.

Best regards,