[GRASS5] Cleaning of temp files

Roger Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Wed Apr 17 07:34:31 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 06:12, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> > Maybe the GRASS-daemon Roger is developing can watch the session and
> > delete things if unnecessary. Or some 'at' job started after opening
> > a new GRASS session?
>
> Well, "at" only runs the command once, but you could have it run a
> script which runs "at" to re-install itself.

The daemon could be made to clean up temporary files.  Currently the daemon
works only in response to user-generated events so it would be something of
an expansion of the concept, but not a big one.

Another option would be to modify a library routine (G_tempfile perhaps) so
that it checks for and cleans unused temp files whenever it is invoked.  That
would not keep .tmp completely clean but it would keep the temp files from
building up.

A note about the daemon.  It it working very well.  I installed it over the
most recent tarball I downloaded.  The updates to make it work were required
by changes in GRASS since pre2, not by problems in the daemon code itself.  I
still need to track down the cause of an odd error generated by clean_temp on
exit.  I had a problem with location formats that I also need to track down,
but that may have been caused by earlier troubles.  The last step will be to
figure out how and where to install it in the GRASS hierarchy.

Roger Miller