[GRASS5] datum shifts

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Apr 19 14:27:58 EDT 2002

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 12:19:33PM -0700, rgrmill at rt66.com wrote:
> I have upgraded the proj library in my installation to version 4.5.5--it
> may actually have been at that level to start with, I don't know.  I
> added some code to the library and modified r.proj, v.proj and s.proj to
> perform the nad27<->nad83 datum change in a pretty seamless manner.  For
> our North American users, I'd like to get this capability into
> GRASS5.0.0 before the feature freeze.

It is hard for me to judge if this might be a cause for more bugs
or can be savely done.
We have the possibility to schedule this addition for 5.0.1
depending on the answer.

> The nad27<->nad83 conversions are based on data tables.  The data tables
> are shipped in ascii form.  They have to be interpreted to binary by a
> program that ships with the package and then placed somewhere in the
> $GRASSBASE hierarchy.

What does " They have to be interpreted to binary by a program" mean?

> The user modules must know where the data tables are stored, and that
> information should be compiled into the modules.  I think that would be
> done by configure, but I don't know enough to say, much less enough to
> make the change myself.

Is there a possibility to make this relative to
an environment variable the GRASS installation is using anyway?
We should not have fixed paths compiled in that prohibit that
the GRASS installation can be moved. So I guess relative to other
GRASS files should be fine. Maybe you don't even need configure for this.