[GRASS5] Branching for 5.0.0 ahead

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Apr 22 08:41:33 EDT 2002

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> You both have to make sure that the release branch only contains
> useful code we want to release and that you know is stable.

I suggest that:

1. Code which is permanently dead (e.g. because it has been
superseded) should be removed from the trunk first.

2. Code which is currently broken, but which might reasonably be
resurrected in the future, should be disabled (in
src/CMD/lists/GRASS), but included in the source tarballs.

The reasoning behind 2 is that a user who wants the program, and who
has downloaded source code rather than binaries, might be inclined to
have a go at getting the program working. Having to retrieve the code
from CVS might prove too much of an obstacle (particularly for users
who can't use CVS due to a firewall).