[GRASS5] Branching for 5.0.0 ahead

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Apr 22 13:14:26 EDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 02:16:43PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> As self-appointed release assistant
> (nobody ever commented on me doing this)
> I remind you that our plan is to create the release branch this week.
>

> Thus this is your last chance to speak up that you still need
> more hours to check in your stuff.
>
> Do not start big additions to grass5 head branch
> without asking on the list.

Unless we find such severe things as the g.remove bug which just
killed all my raster maps from 8 month in my mapset, we should not
rush for the branch.

Also it is unclear to me who will tag it, I prefer a script with
some logic inside (reading src/CMD/lists/GRASS).

Due to the g.remove bug I have to re-do a lot of work, so I am
a bit busy.

> Work in progress that I've noticed:
> 	- d.zoom 	Radim
> 	- m.in.e00	Michel
> 	- proj		Roger

also:
 - v.buffer ?
 - s.to.rast update
 - new r.sun from Jaro
 - m.proj[2] needs the datum update to be synchonized with [rsv].proj
   (it is easier to explain to users that datum transform is not there than
    telling them which modules are updated already - which is great indeed)
 - html pages need update for the nad2nad
 - what about v.in.shape (hi David)

> Please finish as soon as you can and let us know.
> If you cannot finish this within the next days,
> we might have to back the changes out and delay them to later releases.

If so, who would be doing that?

> As for the procedure:
> 	Markus, as GRASS project coodinator
> 	can you work with Glynn to actually create the Release branch?

mhhh, see above. some work is needed here.

> 	Glynn, you have done quite some coding lately on GRASS
> 	and you know a lot about CVS. Thus it would be great,
> 	if you could assist Markus here.
>
> 	You both have to make sure that the release branch only contains
> 	useful code we want to release and that you know is stable.

Here we need something recursive: we could make a proposal and need opinions
later since nobody will know all 3xx modules. Before really tagging a few
people should review the list of release candidates.

Then: Is everybody willing to work on the release branch? Just to verify, if
it makes sense to create it.

Markus