Version numbering (was: [GRASS5] Branching for 5.0.0 ahead)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Apr 23 05:43:11 EDT 2002

We've decided some time ago to try to adapt the Linux kernel
version numbering scheme.

Thus we have a stable line: 5.0.x
and a development line: 5.1.x
Next stable line will be 5.2.x

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 08:37:45PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > Note that there will be 5.0.1 as soon as we manage.
>
> A note about version numbers: an increased release number (the third
> number) normally indicates a bug-fix release which entirely supersedes
> the previous version. IOW, 5.0.1 should be 100% compatible with 5.0.0;
> upgrading should not create any new problems, only fix existing ones.

In general this is true, but we also can have small enhancement in 5.0.1.
We will create a new release branch and so on.

> > > Then: Is everybody willing to work on the release branch?
> >
> > Except release critical bug fixes, there will be no "work"
> > for the release branch. This time we just get it out and will create it.
> > We had this over and over again.
>
> Yes. The bottom line is that, once the release branch is created,
> 5.0.x becomes a specific "product". Anything other than
> straightforward bug fixes has to go into 5.1/6.0.

The plan is to have the release branch only for the 5.0.0 release.
Then we will merge back.
The grass5 tree will be 5.0.x.

I know that you reasoning is good, but
let's stick to the plan for a while and try it. :)

	Bernhard