[GRASS5] Branching for 5.0.0 ahead

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Apr 22 15:37:45 EDT 2002

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > Also it is unclear to me who will tag it, I prefer a script with
> > some logic inside (reading src/CMD/lists/GRASS).
>
> If Glynn would be willing to tag it,
> I would appreciate it.
>
> I do not think that a script is needed.
> He can just check on a fully tree, delete the stuff we do not want,
> modify some files and create the branch.

Yes. When creating a branch, tag the entire tree.

> The next are probably too late,
> they did not react to the warnings.
>
> >  - v.buffer ?
> >  - s.to.rast update
> >  - what about v.in.shape (hi David)
>
> Note that there will be 5.0.1 as soon as we manage.

A note about version numbers: an increased release number (the third
number) normally indicates a bug-fix release which entirely supersedes
the previous version. IOW, 5.0.1 should be 100% compatible with 5.0.0;
upgrading should not create any new problems, only fix existing ones.

It may be necessary to reserve the minor version number (the second
number) for small but incompatible fixes. That would mean that a
substantially revised version would have to be 6.x.

If 5.1/5.2 were to incorporate fundamental changes, there would be no
reasonable numbering scheme available for an intermediate version,
with less significant, but incompatible, changes.

> > Then: Is everybody willing to work on the release branch?
>
> Except release critical bug fixes, there will be no "work"
> for the release branch. This time we just get it out and will create it.
> We had this over and over again.

Yes. The bottom line is that, once the release branch is created,
5.0.x becomes a specific "product". Anything other than
straightforward bug fixes has to go into 5.1/6.0.